**If you have an emergency pet poison situation, call pet poison control at 1-888-426-4435 for immediate instructions and get your dog or cat to the veterinarian right away.**
Are you prepared if your pet eats something deadly?
What actions would you take if you knew your dog had just been poisoned? When the unexpected happens, we don’t always have time to figure out what to do. That’s why it’s vital you prepare in advance for a potential pet poisoning emergency.
Vital Information about Pet Poison Prevention
In situations that are time sensitive, pet owners often forget the exact steps of how to proceed because panic sets in. Make sure you are aware of the signs of poisoning and what to do if emergency care is needed.
Here are some of the most common items that can poison dogs.
1. Human foods that are deadly and poisonous.
Many people are unaware what they are feeding their dog can kill them. Make sure to check out the image below on what can be toxic to dogs that is safe for humans. Common food like grapes, raisins, and onions can be deadly for dogs. Sugar-free gum with xylitol is also highly poisonous. Garlic is safe and even beneficial in small doses, but too much can be fatal. Chocolate is to be kept out of reach of dogs at all times.
Many houseplants can be poisonous to dogs and cats as well, so be sure to select only pet friendly varieties.
2. Medicine or pills left on the counter.
Keep medications such as over the counter and prescription pills, dietary supplements, and inhalers locked in secure cupboards. Keep your purse or bag that could contain these pills in a location that your dog cannot reach. Even topical medication can be a concern for pets, so wash your hands after using muscle rubs or medications and keep all medications (even vitamins) out of reach of your pet.
3. Cleaning products.
All of the bleaches and chemicals that are used to clean your house are highly dangerous for your dog. Especially after cleaning the bathroom, be sure to move these bottles out of reach of dogs and children. Dogs love to chew up plastic, and most cleaners come in plastic bottles. If your dog frequently drinks out of the toilet, make sure to keep the lid down so he can not digest the cleaning chemicals that are used, especially if you use tablets or additive (that turn the water blue every time you flush). Child locks can keep a crafty dog from nosing open a closed lid.
One option to minimize chemical ingestion is to use all-natural cleaners. We use P2 Probiotic Power, Wee Away, and Skout products to keep our store clean and safe. There are a multitude of options available. Feel free to ask an Earthwise employee what would work best for the tasks at hand.
4. Antifreeze products are extremely toxic to your dog.
Antifreeze poisoning is so common is because it has a sweet taste that many pets find intriguing. If there is a leak of antifreeze in your garage or outside, make sure to clean it thoroughly and dilute with many gallons of water. If you spill antifreeze, make sure to clean it up properly to prevent accidental pet poisonings. Sand or kitty litter will absorb the liquid so you can sweep it up and dispose of in a pet-proof container. After sweeping, be sure to wash the area thoroughly with soap and water and even use a pressure washer if available. Pets will lick residue off concrete as it smells sweet and they enjoy the taste.
5. Fertilizers, rat poison, and herbicides.
There is a significant increase of poison control center calls for animals during the spring and summer months, specifically due to poisons and fertilizers we use outside. Make sure that your dog is not ingesting any plants that were sprayed with chemicals and keep all poisons and fertilizers locked or on a high shelf. Lawn chemicals always have a special warning for pets. the label will tell you how long you should wait before allowing your pet back onto a treated lawn. Always follow manufacturer directions carefully.
6. Hidden dangers.
New hidden dangers are lurking in seemingly innocent items like peanut butter. Cherry pits, too much garlic, onions, grapes, and even macadamia nuts can make your dog ill. Be aware of what dogs shouldn’t eat and never share any foods with your dog if you don’t know the exact ingredients. Also, be careful what you put in the trash can as dogs are notorious for garbage surfing when no one’s looking.
What to do for a Pet Poisoning
What do you do if your pet ingests one of these?
The best plan is to call your dog’s veterinarian immediately. However, we all know that weekends and after hour accidents will happen. If this is the case, call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center hotline at 1-888-426-4435.
Calling this number will put you in in touch with an emergency veterinary clinic that is in your area to further assist you.
Dog First Aid Kit for Poison Control
Keep these items in your pet first aid kit to assist with a poisoning situation. It could save your pet’s life.
Further Protection from Poisons and Environmental Toxins
Even with all of these precautions, sometimes the most poisonous thing for your dog is what he is not eating. Most dogs are not getting the nutrients they need to build a defense against everyday environmental toxins like lawn chemicals, preservatives, and medications. Not only is it best to remove as many of these toxins from your dog’s environment, it’s important to give him what he needs so he can detoxify and defend his body with the best defense possible- what good old Mother Nature provided: his immune system.
Pets sneak into garbage cans, they eat treasures found in the yard and on walks, they aren’t the best judge of what’s safe to eat and what’s not. Poisons are everywhere. Be sure to use this valuable information to help keep your fur babies safe.
My dogs have given me an entirely new spiritual perspective on life. I now have a genuine understanding of unconditional love and provision.